Liviu's Reviews > The Judging Eye

The Judging Eye by R. Scott Bakker

Dec 12, 08

bookshelves: genre-fantasy, 2009_release_read
Read in December, 2008

I finished the novel after a month of reading a little from it and putting it down for another book quite a few times, it finally managed to hold my continuous interest after about 200 pages. Overall it has promise and I am on board with book 2 since things start to get interesting, but it's not as good as any of the PoN trilogy in my opinion.

A lot of setup and little action except in one of the 3 threads - though that thread involving Acha and some new characters is awesome.

Kelhus is also awesome, but he gets very little face time.

I disliked Esmenet as Empress a lot - a shadow of her strong, independent personality of the PoN trilogy, whining and annoying.

Also one of the new characters prince Sorweel of Sakarpus is very, very annoying so far and the thread involving him moved very slowly because of that, though it had some good stuff.

I hope people will not get disappointed when reading this book with lofty expectations since while definitely good, it is not as good as PoN though it has promise for the next volume.

But for now the truly great characters of that trilogy are missing in action except for Acha and the glimpses of Kelhus we get.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Judging Eye.