Tamara Morgan's Reviews > Lucia, Lucia

Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani

Jul 27, 12

Read from July 20 to 27, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. The story is framed through the eyes of a Greenwich Village aspiring playwright getting to know her upstairs neighbor, a beautiful old woman named Lucia, who settles down to tell her life story.

As a fashionista, seamstress, and career girl of the 50s, Lucia was an intensely interesting character with a huge Italian family and a troubled romantic life--both of which set the plot going strong. I adored all the characters and Ms. Trigiani's writing was beautiful, especially when she described clothes and setting.

The one flaw would have been the pacing, in my opinion. There seemed to be just as many pages devoted to descriptions of clothes and food (including recipes!) as there were to pivotal scenes in which key characters died. In an of itself, that's not a problem, but since I finished the book wanting MORE about every single character in it (and about quickly glossed over things like Lucia's revelation that she wished for more education), I'd have willingly traded recipes for prose.

BTW--is that a thing now, recipes in books? I think I might actually try making the ice cream truffles...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucia, Lucia.

07/20/2012 page 8
3.0% ""Of course, this is what writers do when they're not writing: they walk in circles around food and decide whether or not to eat it, as if taking a bite will somehow make a bit of dialogue work or help create a missing scene (it never does).""