Patricia Kemp Blackmon's Reviews > Sweet Glory

Sweet Glory by Lisa Potocar

Dec 22, 12

bookshelves: christian-fiction, author-s-request-review
Read from December 16 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

Sixteen year old Jana Brady had grown up listening to war stories and adventures from her grandfather. She soaked up these stories and yearned to live the adventure herself. She wore trousers like a man and could out shoot most men. Hunting and fishing was her sport, not housework. The most important times were spent with her father picking up runaways for the underground railroad. Helping them the best they could on their journey to Canada and freedom. But when she did put a dress on she attracted attention of young men. Yet she had not found the right man to complete her knowing she was still young and had plenty of time to start a family.

Speaking with Leanna a girl from town Jana decided she would join Leanna, disguised as young men, and signup with the Union Calvary. Now dressed in Union blues Jana now known as Johnnie and Leanna known as Leander would move out with the rest of the Union soldiers to fight the Rebels. They made friends with a 12 year old Charlie and an Irishman by the name of Keeley. This would be the ultimate adventure for Jana.

After a face to face with Johnnie, Keeley was not convinced that Johnnie was a guy. He kept trying to trip Johnnie up hoping for the soldier to reveal his real self, which was surely a female.

The troop spent so much time training that it had all of them in a sore mood because they wanted to fight the Rebels now. But when the killing started and it was time to recover the injured and dead they were ready for the war to end. All the while the foursome, Johnnie, Leander, Charlie and Keeley were there for each other and became close friends.

I think I went through this book faster than I have read a book in a long time. So I guess you can say I enjoyed the book and that is stating it mildly. The book brought up things about the Civil War to the point I had to keep a box of tissues in my lap. I did not want to take a break or go to bed. I stayed up until I had read the whole book.

The author pointed out how badly women in the medical field other roles in the war were treated by men. But being tough women they usually were able to put the verbal abuser in their place. It angers me that women had so little rights even then. This was the later of the 1800's not that long ago. This was when my great-grandmother lived and I do remember her.

I am hoping there will be another book about Jana and her friends as they build their lives after the war was over.

I highly recommend this book.

I rated this book 5 out of 5.

Disclosure
I received a free copy of this book from Lisa Potocar/Tate Publishing for review. I was in no way compensated for this review. It is my own opinion.

If you found this review helpful vote yes or no here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Glory.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Dec 20, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Lisa Potocar Sweet Glory

Wow, Patricia! I had to have a box of tissues next to me as I read through your review. Without giving too much away to those who haven't read Sweet Glory, I loved how you saw in Jana a lust for adventure that had been ingrained in her from a very young girl. There's nothing wrong with wanting that, but sometimes things don't always turn out to be as glamorous and glorious as we hope them to be. Jana is complex; as much as she's a tomboy, she does have a softer, more feminine side that bursts through every now and then, and the right conditions and circumstances will bring it to full bloom. Jana's journey is all about how she comes to terms with her blossoming womanhood and the ugliness of war--if she lives to get the chance.

By the way, your wish is my command! I'm currently writing the sequel to Sweet Glory, all due to the demands of you and almost every reader thus far of Sweet Glory. And this doesn't give away that Jana lives in Sweet Glory since the sequel could carry on with one of the other secondary characters.

I can't thank you enough for your interest in and appreciation for Sweet Glory--my brain child.

Lisa