Christy's Reviews > Boyfriend from Hell

Boyfriend from Hell by Jamie Quaid

Jun 30, 13

bookshelves: arc-galley, e-book, read-in-2012
Read in August, 2012

I admit, the title and cover pretty much sold me on this book before I even read the blurb. Not that I think the cover is amazing or anything, it was the vibe it gave that attracted me to it. It screams kick-butt heroine, and I love that. The idea of a justice wielding badass, with a misfit posse? Sign me up. Plus, I'm always on the lookout for a new urban fantasy series to fall in love with. I can't say that I'm in love with this one yet, but it does have the potential to woo me.

Boyfriend from Hell is the first book in the Saturn's Daughter series, and it was a pretty good start. Tina is twenty-six and only has a couple of weeks left before she graduates from law school. She would have graduated earlier, but an unfortunate event between her and a police officer required that she take some time off. Now she's determined to graduate no matter what, but working in the Zone will put that to the test, especially since people seem to be after her.

I have to say, the Zone is a strange place. There were massive chemical waste spills in an industrialized area of Baltimore, which has not only affected the people who continue to live there, but also the inanimate objects. At first, I wasn't quite sure what to think of things having a mind of their own, but I got used to the oddness of it after awhile. Even though I wasn't completely convinced about how the Zone worked, it didn't put me off. You just can't go into it being too picky about understand every little thing. Plus, I think more will be explained as the series progresses.

As for the characters, I ultimately liked them. Tina was kind of annoying at times, but overall she's someone I can see turning into a really strong lead character. I just think the author over did it on some things, like constantly reminding the reader about Tina's disdain for authority figures. I did really love the power\ability Tina has, though, but I'm not going to say specifically what she can do. I look forward to seeing what she does with it. The rest of the Zone characters are quite an interesting bunch.

Something else I want to mention, there is no sexy time in this book. There are some kisses and ogling, but nothing more. I actually liked that. It's nice when an author can write a good book like this without needing to immediately hook people up. Not to say there won't be any in future books, but for now, there isn't.

Overall, Boyfriend from Hell was a fun book, and I will definitely continue the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriend from Hell.