Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Inbetween

Aug 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-romance, reapers-necromancers-death-agents
Read in August, 2012

Your Life Has Just Begun, Again...

3.5 stars. Finn doesn't fit the "reaper" stereotype. This former WWII fighter pilot turned undead escort is just another guy stuck in the inbetween. It's too bad the love of his life has been reincarnated back into the world of the living and she seems to be unable to avoid nearly missing death over and over. I guess that's what happens when ....CRAP... I can't say anything else or it will be a massive spoiler!

You'll just have to trust me that the plot twist is actually kind of amusing. It almost had me wishing for the most bizarre love triangle (it would have involved body snatching, don't ask) that could have ever been. Don't stress. There's no actual love triangle...but in this case, it would have been hilarious to watch.

Confused yet? Sorry. Let's go back to the beginning. Inbetween starts out a little bit like it was written as the lovechild of Fallen and Existence. Believe me, I wasn't happy about this. At ALL. However, even with the similarities, I thought the story was a halfway decent read with far, far less annoying characters, so I was going to give this a basic "3 star for managing not to tick me off" rating and move on to the next book.

Somewhere around the second half of the book, things got interesting. I'm stuck again not being able to say anything because ARGH, SPOILERS. I'll just say that I was grinning with sick glee at what was going on.

Without going into too much detail, there were fights and accidents and fires and people switching bodies...and yeah. All that kind of hoopla. Fun stuff.

If I had any sort of complaint, it's that I wish the love story would have taken longer to develop. This is going to be a series. Even knowing that the two main characters had a history, it would have been interesting to see Emma have been kept in the dark longer than she was...or, at the very least, maybe she could have taken a little bit more time to figure out that she had fallen in love. I'm not a fan of point A to Z romance when a series still has several books in the making.

The Ending. Blergh. Again, I can't SAY JACK because I actually want my friends to stay my friends and I don't think they'd appreciate me spoiling something if they have any intention of reading the book. I am not happy with what happened to one of the characters (it could be one of many characters who were in the book). My preference would have been for that "person" (imagine me doing lame air quotes) to keep doing what they were doing. And that's all I will say about that.

Overall Score : I'm fairly secure in giving this a happy 3.5. After getting past a few shaky chapters which had me nervously comparing Inbetween to a couple of less-than-impressive books, I realized this was a halfway-decent first installment to a series. I can't say that the book was anything new or fresh for the genre, but I was entertained and didn't feel myself suffering any massive cringe-worthy moments. I'll definitely be continuing on with the series.

This book was provided from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inbetween.

07/30/2012
20.0% ""I notice some of you are not keeping up with the current time period. I know to some of you who have been around for centuries, this may seem silly, but you are better able to transport your souls if they cooperate. They cooperate when they feel comfortable. It only takes a second to envision a new look."
He frowned at a reaper wearing brown pantaloons, a white ruffled top, and a black hooded cloak.
" 6 comments

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza I hope it's a good one, you seem to be getting a few strange or just stinky ones lately! I just started one that is promising too, fingers are crossed!

Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts) U'm also reading this at the moment. Yay! How are you linking it so far?

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm about 20% in right now and I'm liking the style of writing, but am sort of bummed that the story itself feels like a rehash of Fallen.

message 4: by Carina (new)

Carina Redo of Fallen you say? Turn off..

message 5: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jul 30, 2012 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) So far. The writing style is different, so I'm only going on concept of "bad and good entities" watching over someone, and there's a guy secretly following around a girl who appears to have come back to life again (possible reincarnation). It's not boring like Fallen was to start, so if the concept veers off into its own thing, I might end up liking it. Right now, I'm unsure.

message 6: by Carina (new)

Carina I'll be waiting on your thoughts then. Not that Im looking to start a new series..but you never know ;-)

message 7: by Ali (new)

Ali I want to read this...which is surprising considering i'm not a big YA fan... but I've been thinking about it a lot for some reason... Maybe because "Dead Like Me" was one of my favorite shows... I'm jealous that you have it... I was skulking around looking for a reaper romance last night. but no luck... i'll just have to wait for August i guess.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I ended up liking it. I've read better YAPNR overall, but this was a fun book. Cute little love story. :) I actually liked it much better than Existence by Abbi Glines but if you want a heavier romance, that one has more of a strong romantic element. For adult, there's always the Charley Davidson series, but it's more of UF and less of a romance to start and the reaper is the girl not the guy.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Well, your review certainly has me intrigued! Not sure that it’s up my ally but I’ll see if I can find it at the library.

Stacia (the 2010 club) If you do get it, let me know what you think.

Heather Hi Stacia,

We are trying to get Tara's book, Inbetween, into the top 100 on Amazon. We need at least 30 reviews on Amazon and have 8 right now. If you could post your review love, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The link to her book is http://www.amazon.com/Inbetween-Kisse....

Thanks so much for all that you do!

~ Heather Riccio, Senior Publicist

message 12: by ♥Rachel♥ (last edited Aug 25, 2012 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥Rachel♥ Maybe it's too early in the morning, but I can't figure out who and what you mean: "I am not happy with what happened to one of the characters (it could be one of many characters who were in the book). My preference would have been for that "person" (imagine me doing lame air quotes) to keep doing what they were doing. And that's all I will say about that."

Well, maybe that's not accurate, I think I know who you're talking about, just not what you would've rather happened, and I wanna know! :) Maybe this?: (view spoiler) Still okay with the way things ended. Btw, next story is in Cash and Anaya's POV.

♥Rachel♥ Forgot to say, love that picture!

Linda (Miss Greedybooks) They should have used your picture for the jacket cover! I would have certainly been drawn to it!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks, I wish I could claim it as my own work.

I'm having trouble remembering what I'm referencing now. Maybe I'll go back and skim the end later and let you know.

Jeanine Once again, great review!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks! I just went and looked up book 2's description and the Cash/Anaya pairing looks like it will be a lot more fun than this book's couple.

Jeanine Haha! I did the same thing after writing my review. The next will be fun to read.... Hopefully. Lol

Greta I was considering this , Since you can't say anything in your review without giving the story away, I'm even more curious :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I wish I could remember now what I wasn't supposed to say! I just got my copy of book 2, so hopefully I'll remember what's going on.