Angie's Reviews > Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended to Angie by: Kevin Lanahan
Read from July 20 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

Our bodies can go through a lot when we are dead and Mary Roach discusses it all. This book takes a look at the life of the human cadaver. Roach tells us what happens when you donate your body to science (you are probably going to be used for surgery practice), how bodies are used for crash test dummies, head transplants, crucifixion studies, human composting and so much more. The life of the human cadaver is fascinating, often gross, but never boring. I can say the same thing about this book. Not the best thing to read while eating, although I did, but it will definitely keep you interested. I loved the chapters on ancient medicines made from human remains and human secretions and human excrement and a whole lot of other things you don't want to think about. I found the crash test dummy chapter and the airplane crash chapter equally fascinating. But nothing can really top the human head transplant chapter. That was some seriously page turning stuff! This book will make you think about your remains and what you want done with them. Will you go for the traditional burial, cremation, human composting, or donate your body to science?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stiff.