Steph Bennett's Reviews > Once

Once by Morris Gleitzman

Jul 20, 12

Read in July, 2012

I'm sure most people know the book 'Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' by John Boyne, and whilst I was reading this book I couldn't help but compare the two,they did have similarities and were about boys during the holocaust however there was one difference that, despite the fact that I love Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, made me love Once more. Once is a book about a boy who is alive during the holocaust but doesn't know of what is happening, who thinks Nazi's are men who just hate Jewish Books, who goes out into the world to find his parents,who introduces us to so many new places and characters we wouldn't have otherwise imagined. Morris Gleitzman has an imagination that will take you on an amazing journey you can't help but feel to all these characters.

Felix.
He is a young boy whose parents left him in a Christian Orphanage before going on the run from the Nazi's.
In his mind he believes his parents are coming back to get him, and when he learns this isn't true, he decides to find them himself. Running away from the Orphanage he goes into a world filled with war, blood shed, and pain. And the most amazing part of this book is that Gleitzman writes it so well that he gets not only Felix to believe for the majority of the book that these Nazi's are only burning books, that it also makes sense to us. Writing through the eyes of a young boy who doesn't want to see the danger in the world- who makes up stories in his head to make sense of everything he sees, it's a talent that cannot go unmentioned. Morris Gleitzman, this was spectacular.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once.

Quotes Steph Liked

Morris Gleitzman
“Everybody deserves to have something good in their life. At least once”
Morris Gleitzman, Once