Teena in Toronto's Reviews > Wax

Wax by Therese Ambrosi Smith

Jul 21, 12

Read from July 20 to 21, 2012

This was an interesting story about the women who supported the war movement at home while the men went off to fight in World War II. Their lives changed so much. No longer were they working in restaurants and stores with the eventual goal of getting married and having children. They became trained labourers making good money. But then the war was over, the men can home and the women lost their jobs. I imagine for many women, it was a hard transition to go backwards again.

Eager for adventure, strangers Tilly, Doris and Sylvia sign up to build ships near San Fransisco. After three years of hard work, they lose their jobs when the war ends but have saved a substantial amount of money. Tilly heads home and finds it hard to settle back in to her old life. She has her job back at her uncle and aunt's restaurant and her mother can't understand why she has no interest in getting married. Tilly and Doris build a candlemaking business in her hometown, where Doris coincidentally inherits a piece of land from her Uncle Stanley whom she'd never met (finding him was one of the reasons Doris had gone to California). Though Sylvia heads to Reno to work in a bar, they keep in touch.

I figured out the "secret past" as soon as it was introduced but it was interesting to see how it would be revealed and acknowledged.

I wasn't crazy about the resolution of the arson angle and I wasn't buying the person who did it and why.

It's written in third person. The time periods jumped around a bit but are prefaced by the date at the beginning of the chapters. I enjoyed the story and the writing and will keep an eye out for other things by this author.

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2012/07...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wax.