Matt's Reviews > The War of the World: Twentieth-Century Conflict and the Descent of the West

The War of the World by Niall Ferguson

Nov 10, 08

The explanations that we learn in high school for history's most horrible events tend to remain with us unchanged, unless we really look deep. Ferguson challenges many of the assumptions about the causes of the 20th Century's dreadful violence and is convincing. Living in Jerusalem, I've often seen how conventional wisdom about the persistent violence of the Middle East seems to miss the mark. That only makes me more convinced that Ferguson is right in refusing to accept the reasons advanced by historians 50 years ago for, say, the Nazi's campaign against the Jews. Our ideas ought to be constantly developing and responding to new research, and Ferguson's book is the best way to get a very broad sweep of these new perspectives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War of the World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt Absolutely this is very much worth the reading. It's actually quite revelatory in the way it makes you look again at the conventional wisdom about, for example, the build-up to World War II. The kind of book that'll make you say to your friends, "So I've been reading this book and it say that...etc. etc."

Carlo Ba And the current Israeli Settlement Policies on the Palestinians.