Gail's Reviews > The Hour I First Believed

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

Nov 10, 08

bookshelves: to-read, contemporary-fiction, to-read-in-2011

So as much as I love Lamb, I'm wondering about this since it's gotten some "ehhh" reviews on here...but since he's one of my favorite authors, on to the list it goes.

(And because I seem to find it impossible to put a book down and give up on it -- even when it drags on -- I have a sinking feeling this book might get lumped in that category).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hour I First Believed.

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan I dunno if "ehh" reviews on goodreads are a great indicator. Some strangers on here whose reviews I glanced at seemed ridiculously fickle or pretentious. (Come on, just enjoy The Lovely Bones for the story that it is.) Haven't read anything from Mr. Lamb, but I sympathize with the inability to give up on a book! It's as if we're hoping for some morsel right up to the dead-last page.

message 2: by Gail (new) - added it

Gail Good point Jon ... though I think with this hefty of a book, I envision myself feeling the way I felt about Richard Russo's Bridge of Sighs. He's an excellent writer and no regrets on sticking that one out, but it was a little wordy for my taste.

That said, I'll no doubt get around to this one and some time you should give Lamb a try yourself. She's Come Undone is skewed heavily to the female persuasion but his other book, I Know This Much is True, is fantastic (IMO). Funny story: I once tried ordering from Amazon a copy of Krakauer's Into The Wild. Well, what showed up on my doorstep? I Know This Much is True. Thankfully, I didn't own a copy yet, so no complaints..but hmmm...I still haven't gotten around to Into the Wild! ha!