Kathy's Reviews > The Last Victim: A True-Life Journey into the Mind of the Serial Killer

The Last Victim by Jason M. Moss

F_50x66
Nov 10, 08

Jason Moss was an 18-year-old college student when he decided to strike up correspondence with imprisoned serial killers. The book has an interesting angle inasmuch as the author not only documents his correspondence, phone calls, and meetings with imprisoned serial killers (John Wayne Gacy, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Richard Ramirez, Andrew Kokoralies), but also speaks in detail about the effects that the contacts with these men had on him. Because I like to know how people think and what the major influences in their lives have been, the content of this book was interesting to me. The writing itself wasn't gripping--simple, maybe average.

The expected lurid, nightmarish details about the most violent and depraved men in our society are provided in the book. But Moss also explores why he (we?) became so fascinated by psychopathic criminals. He also clearly concedes that there is a steep personal price to be paid for getting inside of a serial killer's mind.

The book left me with some troubling insights regarding our culture's fascination with the most monstrous of murderers and how they are transformed into celebrities. I also was left with some troubling questions about middle-class, overachiever Jason Moss, and what compelled him to systematically develop chillingly intimate relationships with serial killers. I give him credit for writing about his own conflicts as he negotiated his project, and how it has changed him forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Victim.