D.'s Reviews > Battleborn

Battleborn by Claire Vaye Watkins

Jul 20, 2012

Read from July 20 to 23, 2012

Watkins is talented. Without, it appears, an abundance of pretentiousness. On top of it all, she's young and cute. Like really just cute.

All of that is to say: I should hate her.

But I kinda want to be her friend.

She makes me want to sit down at my computer and pound out some 4000 word short story that explores why my son -- when he thinks I'm asleep -- crawls under the covers and sleeps curled up in the angles of my legs. He does this; his curly head tickling the backs of my knees, his toes playing with my toes. Watkins would write that beautifully and have something profound to say. She's make a connection; it'd only be a heartbeat long. And it would make you gasp and say, "God."

The short story is a medium that I use often in class, but I rarely seek out collections. And I'm severely lacking in new voices. I'm happy for the Advanced Reader's Copy of these stories because I wouldn't have ever picked it up on my own and these were great to read. There was only one story that I didn't love...and even that one story kept my interest.

A lot here to love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battleborn.

07/23/2012 page 80
26.0% "Five years YOUNGER than me and a professor of English at Bucknell AND a published writer. I'm trying to not let my jealousy and her impossible cuteness detract from her clear talent. I'm trying." 3 comments