Matthew's Reviews > The Magicians' Guild

M_50x66
Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, favorites
Read on July 20, 2012

From the first description of the world, I was captivated. The world in this book felt real and fantastic. This is what I read fantasy books for. To find lush worlds to escape to. This is the first fantasy story to captivate my imagination in quite a while.

However, despite being a good length book and dealing with some relatively mature topics, the book often read as if it were directed at children. The plot was very standard fare - young poor child with a good heart is found to be special and taken into society of rich 'nobles', who, she learns, are often corrupt liars and less honorable than the poor, classless thieves she grew up with - and very predictable, with heavy handed foreshadowing. Much of the book was spent with her running and hiding from the magicians. The possible romances weren't explored enough to give the characters real depth; none of them were unlikable really, but I didn't find myself particularly caring for any of them either.

Furthermore, the story was rather black and white. The villains were villainous and did bad things and the heroes were always honorable and heroic.

I did love the book - the world captured my imagination and I thought the magical system was unique and well-thought out. I would love to explore further. But despite the quality writing of the settings, the characters and especially the plot were a major letdown.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians' Guild.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Pity about the plot and characterisation yet you gave the book five stars all the same! :O

I share your liking for vividly described and believable worlds. To that I would add atmosphere and exoticism. If a book's setting is fascinating, original and full of interesting ideas, and the tale is atmospheric, I can sometimes forgive an author for a poor plot and characterisation.