Alyce (At Home With Books)'s Reviews > Bellwether

Bellwether by Connie Willis

This story examines the origins of trends via a scientist named Sandra in the midst of a mostly incompetent office staff and a hindering human resources department.

Sandra seems to be on the brink of discovering what causes odd behavior to catch fire and become trendy, but every time she gets close to a breakthrough she is foiled by the chaos of the office and one errand girl in particular.

In Connie Willis’s typical style, characters run around trying to solve problems, just missing each other while solutions slip through their fingers right when they are on the point of grasping them. I like Connie Willis’s style when it comes to time travel stories, but in this book it began to be tiresome. Maybe it’s because I’ve read so many of her books this year and they all have a similar frenetic style, but I can definitely tell I need a break from it.

I also thought that Sandra’s discovery about trend origins was unrealistic and oversimplified, but knowing nothing about this field of study myself I am not qualified to make any kind of scientific judgment on this topic.

I know that several of my blogging friends have really liked this book, but this was my least favorite Connie Willis novel so far.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bellwether.