Jeff Scott's Reviews > Year Zero

Dec 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, fiction, humour
Read from November 15 to December 03, 2012

Nick Carter has been visited by two aliens who purport that the entire universe has been illegally downloading Earth music. Due to copyright infringement laws, and intergalactic law, they now owe Earth all of their resources in damages. Rather than pay up, a plan to destroy the Earth forms, and that’s where Nick Carter and his aliens come in. The three of them must figure out a plan to save the Earth and possibly change copyright laws in the process.

A hilarious mocking of the music industry’s strange copyright laws, Year Zero reminded me a great deal of how Europeans view American music (take David Hasselhoff for example). It combines the zany elements of Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy with an expose of United States Copyright laws. It’s at once very entertaining as well as very educational. My favorite parts are the alien reactions to American music. Rick Rolling and an awful Backstreet Boys rendition render these aliens into epileptic fits of pure joy. They even have to wear noise blocking headgear when visiting earth so that the ambient music doesn’t completely paralyze them. It was also very educational for me. Even with the many innovations that have made the music industry a great deal of money the labels insist they are still making money “off of our stuff”. The characters, situations, and education are the reasons to pick this one up, not so much on plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year Zero.