Meghan's Reviews > Saving Rachel

Saving Rachel by John  Locke

F_50x66
Jul 20, 12

In order to be fair to the writer and the story I need to say that I have never read Mr. Locke's work before and wasn't aware that this book was part of a series. I don't know where this book fits in the overall chronology of the other Donovan Creed books (and to be honest I have no desire to find out) so part of my issue could be that I came into an established story without the proper background.

The most positive thing I can say is that it was a quick read (although that could be due to my glossing over the more ludicrous sections). In order to make it through this story a suspension of belief is absolutely required. The resolution, and I use that term very loosely, was so abrupt I thought that maybe the remainder of the book for some reason did not end up on my Kindle.

Be warned, possible spoilers ahead.

The situations the characters found themselves in were completely bizarre. Sam finds himself moving from one insane circumstance to another and that is what initially fueled my interest in the story. How in the world was he going to appease his captors and protect his wife and mistress? Once it is revealed how and why these things are happening as well as the mastermind behind everything I quickly lost interest.

I found the characters unlikeable, especially Donovan Creed. He comes across as a total sociopath and he was so off-putting that I would not want to attempt reading another book that featured him as a character. Obviously the story focuses on saving Rachel but by the end of the book I was really hoping that she wouldn't be saved. She was such a shrill and despicable character that it was hard to feel any real sympathy for her. I disliked her. Immensely. Not that Sam or Donovan were any better; a philandering, pretentious husband and a lunatic contract killer who squats in an attic.

Would I recommend it? In a word, no.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Rachel.