Rachel Whitley's Reviews > The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide

The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal, vampires, 5-stars
Read in July, 2012

I loved every part of this behind-the-scenes look at my new favorite series. But i think my favorites were the brothers' dossiers, the "deleted scenes" section, and of course the novella with Zsadist and Bella.

It's hard to explain why I'm so captivated by six bad-ass vampires who manage to combine the characteristics of a college guy, a Navy Seal, and a 1950s-style brooding juvenile delinquent all into one, (or six to be exact) personalities. But i am well and truly hooked, and if you do any of the following, this book is a must-read.
1. hear music and immediately think which brother the song would fit
2. use the words shellan, hellren, or leelan in everyday life
3. consider adding an extra letter to the name you're going to give your baby
4. get nauseous from the smell of baby powder
5. use exclamations with "Scribe Virgin" in them

This insider's guide isn't fluff or filler; it's nearly five hundred pages of material that will make you love Tohr, Rhage, Vishous, Wrath, Phury, and Zsadist even more than you already do!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Quotes Rachel Liked

J.R. Ward
“-BDB on the board-
Knitter's Anonimous
May 8, 2006
Rhage (in his bedroom posting in V's room on the board)
Hi, my name is V.
("Hi, V")
I've been knitting for 125 years now.
(*gasping noises*)
It's begun to impact my personal relationships: my brothers think I'm a nancy. It's begun to affect my health: I'm getting a callus on my forefinger and I find bits of yarn in all my pockets and I'm starting to smell like wool. I can't concentrate at work: I keep picturing all these lessers in Irish sweaters and thick socks.
(*sounds of sympathy*)
I've come seeking a community of people who, like me, are trying not to knit.
Can you help me?
(*We're with you*)
Thank you (*takes out hand-knitted hankie in pink*)
(*sniffles*)
("We embrace you, V")

Vishous (in the pit): Oh hell no...you did not just put that up. And nice spelling in the title. Man...you just have to roll up on me, don't you. I got four words for you, my brother.

Rhage: Four words? Okay...lemme see... Rhage, you're so sexy.
hmmm....
Rhage, you're SO smart. No wait! Rhage, you're SO right! That's it, isn't it...g'head. You can tell me.

Vishous: First one starts with a "P"
Use your head for the other three.
Bastard.

Rhage: P? Hmm... Please pass the yarn

Vishous: Payback is a bitch!

Rhage: Ohhhhhhhhhhhh
I'm so scuuuuuurred.
Can you whip me up a blanket to hide under?”
J.R. Ward, The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide

J.R. Ward
“Okay. Right. Horror meets romance meets erotica meets fantasy meets hip hop. Throw in some leather and some Miami Ink shit, stir with a baseball bat and a tire iron, sprinkle on some baby powder, and serve over a hot bed of Holy-Mary-mother-of-God-this-has-to-work-or-I'm-going-to-be-a-lawyer-for-the-rest-of-my-natural-life.
No problem."
(J.R. Ward on the elements of writing the Black Dagger Brotherhood)”
J.R. Ward, The Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide