Jen's Reviews > Hogfather

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: scifi, fiction
Read from July 20 to 23, 2012

I'm always somewhat disappointed and disengaged when I read a book of which I've already seen the movie. I keep referencing the movie in my head, picking the right parts, comparing the characters. It's just not as fun as reading a book through fresh eyes. However, it's important to note that the movie version of Hogfather is fracking dead on.

Terry Pratchett is just an amazingly creative mind, and the world he created is stunningly detailed. Sure this is a Santa Claus retell, but it's clever, funny, and engaging. And Mr. Teatime (te-ah-tim-eh...don't get cheeky) is probably the creepiest villain ever. He gives me nightmares, which is notable in a book that also features Death as a main character. Death I would have over for tea--irony intended. And Susan is just the person I want to be when I grow up. She has seen everything and doesn't let being Death's granddaughter phase her, anymore than she acknowledges that she is a Duchess. Granddaughter of Death, Duchess, it's just knickknacks on a dusty shelf to her. FYI, she's played by Michelle Dockery of Downton Abbey fame in the Hogfather movie.

The weak point of the book in my opinion is the wizards.

(That sentence may be the oddest one I've ever written in a review.)

They are bumbling whankers who just kept me from Susan, Mr. Teatime, and Death. Really I rather have been with them, but no, I had to read about how they hoard pencils, create baths that have way to much water pressure, and create machines run on hamsters and teddy bears. The time spent with the wizards I could have skipped.

Definitely read this. It makes you appreciate the power of belief...because "you need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hogfather.