April's Reviews > Twilight

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Nov 13, 08

bookshelves: 2008, young-adult
Read in November, 2008

Bella moves out to the sticks because she's sooooo unselfish and she's making a huuuuuuuuge sacrifice so her mom can be happy. She meets the MOST BEAUTIFUL BOY IN THE WORLD (seriously, it was made very clear--OVER AND OVER AGAIN--that Edward was beautiful) and falls in love with him.

Except--uh oh!--he's a vampire. And rather than have a rational fear of, you know, an immortal monster who tells her flat out that he can't guarantee he won't kill her, she's all, "Hey, that's cool. Oh, and by the way, I love you."

The book depends more on dialogue than action. Sure, there's some plot movement, but there's a lot of talking. A LOT. The main external conflict doesn't come until the last third of the book, it's resolved quickly, and then there's more talking. I wonder how that's going to translate to film.

To my surprise, I liked the story. I KNOW.

However, the writing sometimes got in the way. I'd be rolling along, getting really interested, and BAM. I'd read a word or phrase or sentence that jarred me right out of it. It was like running headlong into a plate-glass window. I'd be dazed for a couple seconds, and I'd look up, like "Really?!?" and then I'd sigh and shake my head and get back to business.

Random Observations:

Meyer is definitely a fan of the thesaurus. Sheesh.

Her favorite word is anguish, in all its forms, including anguishing (as an adjective), which ... no.

The emphasis Bella and her (non-vampire) friends placed on insignificant things reminded me that teenagers react in extremes; they rarely have a middle-of-the-road opinion. And Meyer got that right with her characters: something is either heavenly or (ugh) anguishing.

She also nails the teenage girl's tendency to overanalyze EVERYTHING. I can remember thousands of conversations my friends and I had that all shared the same thesis: What Did He Mean When He _____?

Finally, holy smokes! I get it, Bella's clumsy! Thanks for the TEN THOUSAND reminders.

-------
I held out as long as I could, but I sold out for Cedric Diggory (Robert Pattinson) because: humina humina.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine April,
I enjoyed reading your review. I haven't read any of the Twilight books, but I've wondered if I should, simply because so many of my students read them. The length of the books is holding me back -- and the fear that I won't like them too much. What I get from your review is that even though the writing isn't stellar, there's something about the story (and the characters?) that sucks the reader in inspite of the writing. Is that accurate?

April Lorraine,
Yes, you're right. I did like the story, and despite the length, the book is a quick read. I say try it!

K.K. When you wrote "I KNOW," I was at that moment exclaiming I KNOW!

You got it all right. I second everything you said.

It's "anguishing."

message 4: by April (last edited Nov 23, 2008 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

April Now I need to borrow the 2nd book (like you did). I don't care enough about what happens next to buy the sequels, but I'm curious enough that I'm willing to put myself through the reading of them.