Eric's Reviews > Dawn

Dawn by Elie Wiesel

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: i-see-dead-people
Read from July 20 to 24, 2012

A work of fiction by Elie Wiesel, author of Night, about a young man, formerly a resident of the Buchenwald concentration camp, who later became a terrorist / freedom fighter (depending on which side you are on) in British ruled Palestine.

This is an introspective look at what might go through the mind of soon-to-be killer. Assigned the mission of killing a British hostage, young Elisha has a harrowing night facing his inner demons, his former self, his fellow fighters, and ultimately his British victim. All summed up together, I would call it thoughtful and disturbing.

I cannot deny that this is well written, but it is fiction. I find it somewhat disappointing that it has been marketed as a follow on to Night; this is an entirely separate book that doesn’t even fall in the same category. I'm probably rating it lower than I otherwise would have because of the sense of betrayal I feel at how it is marketed.

Note: The actual edition that I read was part of this book: The Night Trilogy: Night, Dawn, Day

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Paul Bulger If you read the preface, you see that this novel is Elie Wiesel's follow up to Night, and he wrote it as an imagining of what his life might have looked like if things had gone differently for him. What his life might have looked like if he had been in the concentration camps for three or four years, instead of just one. He questions who he might have been if he had been chosen as a kapo in one of the camps. If so, would he have had beaten a friend or an old man? Would he have had been able to muster the hatred to possibly even kill a person?
In a sense, he is the main character, and he imagines the darkness he would have fallen into had his life had gone a slightly different direction than it did.