Eric's Reviews > Free Will

Free Will by Sam Harris

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: recent-reads, science, philosophy, religion

This is a very slim book. It almost feels like a pamphlet. Regardless, I read it slowly over the course of a few months. A page here, a page there. I kind of prefer reading philosophical books that way -- writing that requires deep thinking often requires that I spend a lot of time digesting it. I don't pretend to be a deep thinker, and I realize many of my friends probably plowed through this in 30 minutes.

I'm a bit conflicted. As I set out reading the first few chapters, Harris nearly had me convinced that we do *not* actually have free will. This is, as he points out, certainly a bummer to us humans, who pride ourselves on our ability to make choices and to choose to live (or not) moral lives where we make good (and difficult) choices.

While I was half way through the book, I read a write-up of a study which indicates that perhaps some of the research that Harris uses in his argument might not have been definitive, and that researchers believe they may have located a mechanism that indicates a conscious decision prior to the brain's signaling to decide (which had previously been shown to precede our being conscious of having made a decision) - got it?

So, yeah. Harris' argument is absolutely a powerful one. He writes, as usual, with great clarity, and he is quite convincing. Had I not read some of the research that came to light after the publishing of this book, I might be of the camp that we *don't* truly have free will. As of now, I'm not so sure.

I wish more people would read this, however. It has a lot to say about how neuroscience plays into our decisions, and how so many of our decisions should not be reflections of us as moral or immoral beings, but rather a product of our genetics and our neurophysiology. This type of thinking should absolutely be taken into consideration in criminal courts -- not that we should ever excuse horrible acts (but rather, we should stress the importance of understanding their origins and how we might curtail them.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free Will.