Anna Janelle's Reviews > Prepare

Prepare by Geoffrey Germann

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from July 20 to 31, 2012 — I own a copy

The author was so generous enough to send me this novel after I had lost a GoodReads First Read contest. He even took the time to autograph it with a personalized message. It was so kind and much appreciated. Geoffrey - if you are reading this, Thanks once again. I'd love to read more and I can't wait tor the sequel to be released.

I think I've mentioned in status updates how action packed and thrilling this book was - like nothing I've really read before. A narritive account with a millionaire genius superhero pulled straight from the pages of a comic book sent to battle the gang infested streets of The Orchard. The story read straight through, switching between the prospectives of all of the characters seamlessly between chapter breaks. Darren Kiel is a hero reminescent of Batman, fighting crime in the dead of night equipted with an undefeatable high - tech suit. Corrine Daniels is surgon at the emergency room that serves the Orchard's residents. They meet and instantly share a connection; however, in true comic book tradition, Corrine is unaware of Darren's "night job" instead, thinking he's a security guard. When Darren makes several "saves" that are caught on security footage, an overvealous, corrupt Chief of Police Webster Evans becomes obsessed with finding and incarcerating the masked hero. Likewise, the thugs on the street become hellbent on revenge.

I really got into the drama of the hunt and the continuing efforts of Darren to clean up the streets. My only complaint with the novel was the twist ending. I didn't think the addition of the twist added to the overall story. I preferred Darren's motivation stemming solely from his unusual relationship with his father. I would absolutely read the sequel to this novel and I anxiously look forward to its release date.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prepare.

07/17/2012 "The author of this novel was kind enough to offer to send me a copy to read and review. I'm thrill to have this opportunity. It was such a suprise to receive an email from him :) If this book is as fabulous as the author is, then I'm in for an exciting first read."
07/19/2012 "The author of this novel was kind enough to offer to send me a copy to read and review. I'm thrill to have this opportunity. It was such a suprise to receive an email from him :) If this book is as fabulous as the author is, then I'm in for an exciting first read."
07/19/2012 "An autographed personalized copy of Prepared showed up with the mailman. Getting mail that isn't either junk or bills is always exciting. BOOKS! IN THE MAIL! ARE THE BEST! NOTHING BEATS GETING BOOKS IN THE MAIL! I'm saving this read for the coveted vacation airplane read. Thanks to Geoffrey German for the opportunity to read to review. Special thanks because he autographed it and sent it out super fast."
07/26/2012 page 9
3.0% "At the airport, headed for San Fransisco. This will be my in flight read.Thanks again to the author for my copy to review."
07/26/2012 page 60
19.0% "Batman-esque avenger meets Matrix like fight scenes for one hell of a ride. Gang members beware. A new hero hits the street and he's unstoppable. A great backyard read on this beautiful sunny day."
07/28/2012 page 138
44.0% "This book is such a guilty pleasure. Not my normal read, but I cannot put it down...not even to go to sleep. I love the Darren - Corrine connection. Super hero geek romance. Irresistable!"
07/30/2012
100.0% "Just finished this read on the plane home. My review will be coming tomorrow!"