Nancy's Reviews > The War at the End of the World

The War at the End of the World by Heidi Belleau

May 06, 2016

bookshelves: e-books, lgbt, historical-fiction, romance, paranormal, weird-dreams, outlaw-reviews, love-is-always-write
Read on July 20, 2012

Posted at Outlaw Reviews

Having read Hawaiian Gothic, I knew that this short paranormal story would be unusual, unique and full of the unexpected. Joseph is a wartime journalist covering events that occurred in Finland after the Winter War, when Finland lost nearly 10% of its territory to Russia. Because Finland lacked materials, resources and support during WW2, it formed an alliance with Nazi Germany. When it was obvious that Germany was going to lose the war, Finland distanced itself from Germany and remained a neutral independent nation. This is a period I don’t know much about. Heidi Belleau and Violetta Vane have done an amazing job bringing this period to life with vibrant characters and rich historical details, making me dig a little more into Finland’s past.

Joseph has had several brushes with death, starting with a bout of polio in childhood. The fetch whose duty it is to bring Joseph to death is unable to do so and instead is accompanying him on his life journey while his feelings for Joseph grow deeper.

I loved the flashback to Joseph’s childhood, the hardships he endured in Finland, and the brief period during the 1960’s. This was a lovely story that left me just a little sad and a little unsettled, even though it ended happily.

I also loved how this story wended its way into my subconscious and made me have odd dreams about people gone from my life that I loved, hated, or both, and the fetch who reminded me I was getting old and needed to spend time with them before he takes me.

40 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War at the End of the World.

05/06 marked as: read

Nancy I'm going to read it a second time since I was up so late. :)

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus *pats foot awaiting review*

message 3: by Nancy (last edited Jul 27, 2012 04:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nancy Sandra, you should probably hide your comments with a spoiler. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Carol. (new)

Carol. lovely review.