Jan's Reviews > One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Jul 20, 12

Read in July, 2012

Ann Voskamp shares so honestly right from her heart in this thoughtful, rich, exquisitely written book that expounds upon the well-known, but perhaps not fully understood idea of thanking God for the gifts He has given us. It's kind of like a "can't see the forest for the trees" thing. As Christians, we "know" we are to give thanks - but do we really understand the relational dynamic between ourselves and God when we fully and sincerely embrace this truth? Ann invites the reader to take the journey with her as she begins a challenge to list 1,000 gifts from God that she is thankful for. And we join with her as she thinks it all through "out loud" and applies is to her own life which has been rife with pain and trauma and the many stresses of raising a large family. I challenge you to take the ride with her. It's like a fine dining experience - you want to savor each bite, fully taste it and enjoy it - and you never want it to end. As soon as I finished the book, I went through and re-read all my (copious) highlights and was challenged all over again. I can say that this book has opened my eyes and changed my life! I can't recommend it enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Gifts.