Sally's Reviews > Frozen

Frozen by Mary Casanova

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: e-galley-read, 1920s, small-town, america, girls-of-the-night, mystery
Read from August 19 to 21, 2012, read count: 1

I was at first drawn to the setting of this book - Minnesota in the 1920s, a time of Prohibition and growing rights for women, as well as a place which to me is very foreign. And the story sounded interesting too... and I guess it was, but it also wasn't. I found the pace a bit too slow to start with, it felt that nothing really *happened* until finally Sadie ran away to Kettle Falls, about halfway though the book. And it felt that getting to that halfway point also took forever!

The transition from her not talking (for eleven years!) to suddenly talking again felt quite abrupt and undeveloped as well. I'm still not entirely sure what grand event inspired her to talk again, if anything. It just felt like she randomly decided to start talking again. After eleven years of silence. And then... she was talking all the time. It just made the fact that she hadn't talked for eleven years seem kind of redundant. Sadie's relationships with Trinity and Owen were also really undeveloped... like they meet briefly and then after that, she and Trinity are bffs and suddenly she's in love with and thinking of a future with Owen. They just felt a bit too convenient and rushed - like oh, she needs a friend/love interest, let's just pick those two and not really go into much detail. Also, Trinity's breakdown seemed incredibly random and out of the blue!

I wish there'd been more on Prohibition and bootlegging, because I find that really interesting. And just the general way of living for those people. I kind of wanted to learn more about that. To me, the book felt an odd mixture of too long but not quite detailed enough. It seemed that most things were just gently skimmed over, giving us a brief taste only. As I said, the pace at the start was very slow and I felt like a lot of that could have been trimmed down to make it more engaging. And seriously, as someone who's fascinated with history and other cultures, I would have liked a much more vivid picture of life at that time, in that place.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frozen.