Borax's Reviews > The Drop

The Drop by Michael Connelly

Jul 20, 12

I am a Harry Bosch fan...in particular, I thought Concrete Blonde was an amazing boom....but Harry's getting older...Connolly brings this to light....but at the same time, can't quite bring us to that transition...Bosch seems pretty static at the end of this otherwise transformative book. As a teacher, I loved Connolly's play with the motif in the title....the DROP is a term specific to officers to un-retire...Harry works with cold cases...or have they been, for a variety of reasons, become dropped cases?...there is a very physical drop....around 5 stories I think....and guards are dropped as Harry opens up...to his daughter...a woman...and his less than perfect partner....oh, and the ending is a drop too...but I don't want to say anything about that. The two crimes that drive the book start off as plot/subplot...but Connolly clearly wanted to juxtapose these cases....what drove them....what resolved them...and how they were handled by the brass....Connolly's making a statement here about the price of "high jingo." loved this book....it gets less than perfect for not having enough action sequences.... Harry is mostly investigating and interviewing...but what the heck...the dude is old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drop.