Elaine's Reviews > One for the Murphys

One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

Jul 20, 12

Read on July 20, 2012

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I almost finished it in one day (which says a lot for me...I'm a slow reader). The book is about an 8th grade girl, Carley, who becomes a foster child after being abused by her step-father. She goes to live with the Murphy family...a loving family with a mom, dad, and three sons. The story is about Carley's adjustment to life in a loving home...learning to allow people to love her and take care of her. The writing was excellent, especially the dialog. The story was believable and characters so real I wish I knew them personally. There is nothing inappropriate in this book, except that the subject matter would be hard for children who don't know about abuse and the foster care system. Carley does make a comment once that she wished her mom had been married to her dad (she never knew her real father). While this book wouldn't be classified as Christian fiction, it certainly isn't "not" Christian. Carley struggles with her relationship with God and faith is displayed simply in the Murphy family. The whole book is a story of redemption. I can't recommend this book highly enough. I don't know when I'd give it to my daughter to read...maybe when she's 12 or 13? An excellent book by Lynda Mullaly Hunt...I can't wait to read her next one!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One for the Murphys.