Bryan's Reviews > Last Chance to See

Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: nature
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in January, 1991 — I own a copy, read count: 3

This book combines two of my favorite things; Douglas Adams' writing style and nature books. I sprung at the chance to read this when it was released, and have read it multiple times since. Mark Carwardine is an experienced biologist and gifted photographer, and if you don't know who Douglas Adams is, well, you should, he wrote Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Just like HHGTG, this started as a BBC radio show, and ended as a book.

Douglas and Mark travel the world to visit nine animals in acute danger of extinction. These include some familiar animals like the Mountain Gorilla, Northern White Rhinoceros, and the Komodo Dragon. They also visit some animals you may be less familiar with like the Aye-Aye, and the Kakapo. Along the way Douglas Adams describes things as only Douglas Adams can. His desciption of the habits of the Megapode (a chicken-like bird who live in the region of the Kiomodo Dragon) stuck with me for years. He describes how the bird fastidiously manages their egg mound in order to maintain the proper incubation temperature, and relates it to times he realizes he spends in inordinate amount of time fiddling with things to save very little time. I could instantly relate.

I also purchased the 2 CD-ROM that contains Adams reading most of the book and over 800 still pictures from the trip. If I could give this book 10 stars I would. It is engaging, and informative. A potent combination.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Chance to See.

message 1: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon I really liked that one.

Bryan I have the Stephen Fry/Carwardine sequel. Have not read much yet.

message 3: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Pelham The sequel is quite good, but the first is better. Adams' description of the Yangtze River dolphins was heartbreaking. And yes, they have indeed disappeared from the planet since he wrote that piece.