Ian Mapp's Reviews > Silence of the Grave

Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indriðason

Jul 20, 12

Read in February, 2007

** spoiler alert ** Winner of the CWA prize.

Quite morose book where everything has turned to shite.... Icelandic detective is called to a recently uncovered body and has his own personal demons to battle as his drug addicted, pregnant daughter is in a coma.

There are three stories here - two in the past as we try and determine who the body is as it is slowly escavated and one the in the present as the detective Erlandur deals with his domestic issues.

The two in the past revolve around the owner and occupant of the nearby shack in the WWII and have a victim of domestic violence and a missing pregnant woman.

There are a few red herrings along the way although the identity of the corpse is fairly easy to spot.

The writing is bleak and there is a distinct lack of any humour or light.... which at times is grating although does provide a certain atmosphere. I'm not sure if the book loses something in translation as the sentances do not flow at all..... but this is a relatively minor complaint.

Not a classic, but enough to make me get his other works.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silence of the Grave.