Patricia's Reviews > The Last Bastion of the Living: A Futuristic Zombie Novel

The Last Bastion of the Living by Rhiannon Frater

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: badass-heroine, hall-of-fame, post-apocalyptic, romance, sci-fi, thriller, new-adult
Read from July 13 to 18, 2012

What happens when you throw together a little bit of this:

And this:

?

That's right. You get The Last Bastion of the Living. Okay there are no vampires or lycans but both Kate and the book's cover model dons a spandex suit. And man is our heroine one BADASS chick. Congrats Ms Frater, you have just gained a new fan.

The Last Bastion of the Living was everything I expected and more. After reading Courtney Summers' This is Not a Test, which, by the way, was depressing as hell (but it was still good), I was mentally drained by the whole its-the-end-of-the-world hopeless feeling that so often comes with undeads. With that in mind, I was rather reluctant to start on this book.

BOY WAS I GLAD I DID.

Meet Maria Martinez, the story's female lead. After the failure of the last attempt to seal the valley gate and feeling trapped living within the city walls, Maria longed for a life out in the open. However, this was far from possible due to the Inferi Scourge "Scrags" (undead) that surrounded the city when the gate failed. So naturally, when she was given the chance to eliminate the Scrags once and for all, she jumped at the opportunity, only to find out later that things are not as simple as they seemed.

I loved the sense of duty that Maria possessed and defined her. Even though she knew of the risks involved in the plans to eliminate the Scrags, nonetheless, she persisted in participating in order to free what's left of humanity. She's loyal, honest, and tough when she needed to be, even when she was (view spoiler) What can I say? She's just plain awesome.

The story's other lead (and Maria's love interest), Dwayne, is just about as wonderful. Despite being 25 years her senior, the relationship between Maria and Dwayne never felt weird. They truly cared and trusted each other. When things turn bad, each provided the support their better half needed. Dwayne never tried to control Maria as with so many other alpha male that frequently appeared in books these days. Instead, he decided to assist her from the sidelines even though the fact that she was in constant danger pained him. He RESPECTED her decision. THIS IS WHAT I CALL TRUE LOVE PEOPLE. I'm so glad that they (view spoiler).

Also, there was no love triangle! *Yay*

Reading The Last Bastion of the Living was a breeze. There wasn't a single moment in which I was bored by the plot. Rather, I should say I was flipping through the pages fervently in my haste to find out what came next. The plot thickens and was lined with several twists and turns I never saw coming. The writing was very well done, though I did spot a couple of errors. But it was nothing major. Oh and did I mention how much I adore stand-alones? No? Well, I do. The Last Bastion of the Living is exactly why.

And finally, to Rhiannon Frater:

GOSH THAT ENDING.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Bastion of the Living.

07/14/2012 page 12
3.0% "I've just barely started and already greeted with scenes of mashed undeads, blood, bodies and bones. The Last Bastion sure as hell looks GOOD.

I'm such a sadist. :/"
07/14/2012 page 12
3.0% "I've just barely started and am already greeted with scenes of mashed undeads, blood, bodies and bones. The Last Bastion sure as hell looks GOOD.

I'm such a sadist. :/"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rhiannon Frater I loved this review.

It made me feel like this
Photobucket

Patricia Rhiannon wrote: "I loved this review.

It made me feel like this

"

Hahas you go girl! You deserve it. :)