Reader50's Reviews > Luther: The Calling

Luther by Neil Cross

F 50x66
Oct 13, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery-crime, international-setting, first-reads, award-winner
Read from September 05 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy

Having seen the BBC "Luther" series, I was anxious to read this book, a prequel to the series. The book was as tense and thrilling as the TV series but I had a lot of difficulty reading it due to the grisly details of the murders and the many characters who engage in activities I found repugnant to read about. The TV series admittedly involved crimes and characters equally loathsome but for reasons I'm unable to identify, I didn't find them as difficult to view as I did reading this book, perhaps because children were involved and the description of the crimes were vivid and disturbing. In any case, I most likely would not read another "Luther" book, but will watch future shows on the screen instead. Reading the book did explain an opening scene in the TV series in which Luther is seen unsuccessfully reaching to grab a fellow who falls to his death. This scene is not explored in the series but seems to have had a profound effect on Luther and reading this book provides the context and circumstances of the flashback. Though I was hoping to rate this book more highly, I would have to rate this book as 2.5 stars due to the aforementioned reasons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luther.