Angie's Reviews > Cum Laude

Cum Laude by Cecily von Ziegesar

5203096
Jul 26, 12

Read from July 20 to 26, 2012

I picked up this book for only 50 cents and didn't expect much from it. Plus, I had dabbled in the Gossip Girl series for a while a few years back and became hooked on those! But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by this book!

It's definitely a fast read. While I wasn't super hooked to the story, I still kept going back for more. I even found myself not stopping after a chapter was over and often continued to two to three more chapters.

It was interesting that this story took place in the early 90s, but it took me a while to figure it out. For instance, I was confused at the subtle hinting of the time period when Ziegesar detailed that cassettes littered the passenger seat of Shipley's car. But then the time period was made obvious and apparent when there's mention of the Clinton/Gore support for the upcoming election.

This story had a feeling like those movies that kind of drop you into the middle of a story and then ends with some resolve yet it's still open--mostly because this is the first year of college for all the main characters. It is in Ziegesar's nature to make series out of her novels and this could've definitely turned that route but I'm glad it didn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cum Laude.

07/20/2012 page 20