Annie's Reviews > The Orchardist

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin

Oct 09, 12

Read from September 09 to October 09, 2012

I won this book from goodreads first reads.

Why do people read books? I don't know about you but I read to either escape to someplace or time different from my own or to learn something. For most people I know this why they read.
Then why do I keep coming across books with such disturbing themes? Why on earth did the author think anyone would enjoy reading about fictional child prostitution? A man drugged out on opium offered a very young child to an old man. Completely disturbing. I don't even want to read the true story of someone who has escaped from that. It's just too sad. As a preschool teacher, who enjoys the company of children sometimes even more than adults I don't want to think about someone harming children.
Who enjoys that?
I know the topic provides background for the behavior and actions of the two girls Jane and Della but I wish I hadn't won the book.
I am hoping all that's over so I am going to keep reading because it is well written.

I just couldn't make myself finish this book. It is just to sad without any hope. It didn't help that I did not enjoy the style of writing. It is not so horrible that I can not understand how others could enjoy it; this book is just not for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orchardist.

09/10/2012 page 14
09/25/2012 page 56
12.0% "So far this book is making me sad."
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kris Irvin I know what you mean. I finished it, but I came away feeling depressed. I like to read books that make me feel happy, or at least give me some new outlook on an aspect of life. This one was well written, but I didn't really learn anything from it other than basically life sucks and then you die. Bummer.

Peebee This is exactly how I felt. I don't care how good the writing is -- who wants to spend their time reading about these topics? And there is no redemption in the end...you would have felt worse had you spent more time trying to finish the book.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to skip it.

Erik This book is hardly about child prostitution. If that's all you got out of it then perhaps you should stick with reading your People magazine.

Peebee That was a very rude comment, Erik. Certainly the child prostitution angle was a significant component of the book, and anyone who doesn't get that may themselves be lacking in sophisticated understanding of what they're reading. But we all experience different things out of books, and so there was no need to insult someone whose experience was different than yours.

Erik yes there was

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Erik obviously thinks highly of himself. Thanks for this review. Sounds like a book I wouldn't care to read either.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I think there is a line between tackling depressing themes and being depressing. I thought this was on the right side of this line, like Toni Morrison's works.

Sara This is exactly how I felt about this book too. It was too meandering and pointless. I didn't like the characters, just a bad experience overall.

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo Anne Annie, I hated this book! It was beautifully written but depressing and overlong. I finished but you didn't miss anything. The main characters all died.

Cyanemi I read some of these glowing reviews and thought something was wrong with me. I lived in Chelan and Wenatchee and don't feel the author captured the area. This book was so slow it was like watching molassas move.

MountainShelby I am struggling to finish the audio version. I will tolerate aplodding pace for a truly great work of lit, but this novel is not great lit. It's a genre novel, and so I expect more forward movement.

message 13: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo Anne a truly great work of lit, but this novel is not great lit. It's a genre novel, and so I expect more forward movement."

Not gonna happen. It's just going to plod on until it finally dies of old age.

message 14: by Cher (new) - added it

Cher Johnson Wish you would have let us know there was a spoiler in your review.

message 15: by Shriyukta (new) - added it

Shriyukta This is exactly how I am feeling even though I have just read about 80 odd pages. I have felt nauseous during certain, unnecessarily detailed descriptions.

There's just too much sadness for me to continue any further. This is one of those rare books that I can't bear to finish.