Hobbes's Reviews > Callahan's Key (The Place, #1)

Callahan's Key (The Place, #1) by Spider Robinson

Jul 26, 12

Recommended to Hobbes by: Devin Murphy
Read on July 20, 2012

Another wonderful book in a beautiful series. Jake gets a visit from Tesla who tells him that once again the end of the world is nigh and it is up to Jake and his motley band of bar flies to save it. Jake decides that it is time to reopen the bar, but not in Long Island. Jake, Zoey, and super intelligent baby Erin move to the Florida Keys, and take the rest of the Callahan crew with them. Parts of the book were a little bittersweet for me, reading about the drive through Florida, especially when they stopped at the Kennedy Space Center to watch a shuttle launch. Reading the wonder and magesty of a shuttle launch through the eyes of someone with child-like wonder and appreciation reminded me how much I miss living there some days. A brief summery is that mankind has managed to create a situation the ends the universe and everything in it and the Callahan crew must figure out what it is and how to stop it. And of course they do. For me, the best part isn't the problem and solution, but how it is solved. The way they work together, the way everyone cares about and for one another. If every one read these books and treated other humans the way Spider's characters act the world would be a very different place. One that would not require so much saving.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Callahan's Key (The Place, #1).