Sareen's Reviews > It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways

It Starts with Food by Dallas Hartwig

Aug 19, 12

bookshelves: science-health, non-fiction, food
Read from July 19 to August 19, 2012

The premise for this book is that food can either make you healthier or less healthy-- there is no neutral food. Foods that make you less healthy do so in at least one of the four following ways: 1) they have a psychological addiction to them, 2) they mess with your hormones, 3) they mess with your gut, and/or 4) they mess with your immune system.

This book explains the concepts in a simple yet logical way that has the science to back it up. The authors do a lot of "talk to the reader" kind of writing which usually bothers me but for some reason I wasn't annoyed with them. It's a book that I would recommend to family and friends because as the authors put it at t the beginning, I "deeply care for their health."

In the appendix they have simple ideas for how to cook food every day in a sustainable way (not environmentally sustainable but sustainable in the sense that it's doable) and I was super inspired to cook more, even though I already have a husband who loves to cook for me and he does it well. Great resource and great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Starts with Food.