Diane's Reviews > Sing Them Home

Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos

Dec 17, 2008

it was ok
Read in December, 2008

I anxiously awaited the release of this book as I loved the author's first book: Broken for You. This book was scheduled for a January 2009 release but hit the stores and libraries earlier.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Sing Them Home is a moving portrait of three siblings who have lived in the shadow of unresolved grief since their mother’s disappearance when they were children. Everyone in Emlyn Springs knows the story of Hope Jones, the physician’s wife whose big dreams for their tiny town were lost along with her in the tornado of 1978. For Hope’s three young children, the stability of life with their preoccupied father, and with Viney, their mother’s spitfire best friend, is no match for Hope’s absence. Larken, the eldest, is now an art history professor who seeks in food an answer to a less tangible hunger; Gaelan, the son, is a telegenic weatherman who devotes his life to predicting the unpredictable; and the youngest, Bonnie, is a self-proclaimed archivist who combs roadsides for clues to her mother’s legacy, and permission to move on. When they’re summoned home after their father’s death, each sibling is forced to revisit the childhood tragedy that has defined their lives.

I usually love books about family sagas, family secrets and, stories with quirky dysfunctional characters. This book certainly contained those elements, but I found this book to be a HUGE disappointment. The only part I really enjoyed was reading the entries in Hope's journal right up to the time of her disappearance. The other criticism I has was that at 500++ pages the ending seemed to be rushed.

In summary, I found the book easy to put down and harder to pick up afterward. I am glad I borrowed it from the library.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sing Them Home.

message 1: by Betty (new)

Betty Well, Cat! I was all excited about this book when I was reading the description; I can see why you would expect much more from the book! Your reasons sound justified, it's too bad the story didn't follow through with the strength found in the description.