Katie's Reviews > The Wishing Spell

The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

May 11, 13

bookshelves: kids-read
Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

Okay, so anyone who even remotely knows of me knows that I have a massive crush on Chris Colfer. (...And yes, I'm aware he's gay. All the attractive men are.) So I bought this book expecting it to be an adorable read, I'd enjoy it, and I probably wouldn't reread it but I couldn't wait till it came to the library.

Honestly, I was sort of blown away by how good the book was. The characterization was good, the writing was much better than I expected - the work of someone who is clearly very clever, not just in street-smarts but in intellect. This was not the work of an actor: this was the work of a writer.

The only thing I do have to say is that the plot was weak. I was expecting a lot of the twists and turns. A lot of them. But the characterization mostly made up for that.

I'd recommend this to a lot of people. It's geared towards kids, but - like so many children's books (The Giver, The School Story) - it can be read by anyone of any age looking for a good story that isn't too complicated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wishing Spell.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria And yes, I'm aware he's gay. All the attractive men are.

Could not have said that better myself.

Also, The School Story. <3.