Charis's Reviews > Carpe Jugulum

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett

Jul 19, 2012

bookshelves: audiobooks, re-read, read-in-2012, read-in-2013, favorites
Read in July, 2012

Carpe Jugulum is hands-down one of my favorite Discworld novels, and for that matter one of my favorite books. It's funny, it's exciting, it contains a lot of very interesting and thoughtful commentary wrapped up in hijinks, and it showcases some of my very favorite Discworld characters, most notably Granny Weatherwax.

If you asked me to name my favorite vampire-centric books, I would definitely mention Robin McKinley's Sunshine, but I think that Carpe Jugulum would still take the top spot.

re-read July 19, 2012(audiobook)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carpe Jugulum.

Quotes Charis Liked

Terry Pratchett
“Granny was an old-fashioned witch. She didn’t do good for people, she did right by them.”

Terry Pratchett
“And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things.”

Terry Pratchett
“As the eye of narrative drew back from the coffin on its stand, two things happened. One happened comparatively slowly, and this was Vargo's realisation that he never recalled the coffin having a pillow before.
The other was Greebo deciding that he was as mad as hell and wasn't going to take it any more.”
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Ungelic_is_us My thoughts exactly! My enjoyment of this really lovely satire on vampire fiction were the endless fat jokes at Agnes' expense. I realize that Discworld is about playing with stereotypes to a certain extent, but I find Pratchett's writing about that character pretty personally insulting. Alas! Aside from that, a very good book--and I think it anticipates Twilight's convention of a human woman being fascinating to a vampire *because* he cannot read her mind!