Sherrie's Reviews > Red Mist

Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell

F 50x66
Jul 19, 12

Read in July, 2012

I've been a Cornwell fan since the beginning. But the last 4 or 5 novels have been headed in a direction that results in this, the weakest effort yet. Somewhere along the line, Cornwell lost a good editor and/or gained a bad one, because what used to be sharp, taut writing now goes on and on and ON. The meeting between Scarpetta and Berger that lays out the plot of the book took over 100 pages. It could have easily been done in 30. Or less. The entire novel is filled with over-long, over-emotional scenes like that, not to mention that the dialogue is hard to even read, much less imagine someone actually speaking it.
Even that would be semi-OK if the characters were drawn better. There was not a single likable character in this entire novel, and that list leads off with Dr. Scarpetta herself. She's always had her flaws,but they made her more real. Now they just make her, frankly, more of a self absorbed bitch.
The story itself was ho-hum, and I had to force myself to finish. There are too many good mystery writers out there for me to waste more time on this series. Unless I get definitive reports that the old Kay Scarpetta has returned, this is goodbye.
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Mist.

Kimberley Hughes You've hit the nail on the head with this review! Completely agree.

Anita I agree completely with this review. A once brilliant and interesting character has become a whiny, self-absorbed character. Reading this book is draining.

Sherrie I am at a complete loss as to how Patricia Cornwall allowed this to happen.

Ceelee Sunshine I am currently reading it and am experiencing the same question. Why bother with this series any more?

message 5: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Daley I couldn't agree more. I listened to this as an audiobook and found it incredibly tedious.