Lauren's Reviews > Hollowed

Hollowed by Kelley York

Jul 19, 2012

Read from August 22 to 24, 2012

Hollowed is one of those books that leave you craving for more. Pun intended ;) With an engaging narrative, swift plot, and well-drawn out characters, you’ll be hooked instantly. York’s refreshing take on vamps has Hollowed oozing with originality and personality.

Hollowed is a story about a girl named Briar who after witnessing her bestfriend’s murder finds herself undergoing some extreme bodily changes. Thanks to the kind and generous nature of two vampires named Cole and Oliver, Briar is able to determine her odd new behaviors including strange cravings as being product to the beginnings stages of vampirism. Left without answers and a new lifestyle to undergo, both Cole and Oliver take it upon themselves to teach Briar the ropes, so to speak. Blood of course is a must but unlike most vampire fables, York’s vampires have the ability to step into the sun.

I really enjoyed the introduction and utilization of Cole and Oliver. I found Cole’s role to be very similar to that of Carlisle’s in the Twilight Saga. He’s the older and wiser member of the vampire duo, supplying the support and guidance to younger vamps. He is very sweet and calm yet deep down harboring an incredibly strong and protective nature. Cole completely embraces Briar from the beginning while Oliver starts off a bit aloof. I tend to go for the standoffish, incredibly gorgeous, and seemingly moody male characters that are just waiting for a female heroine to break them out of their shell, like Oliver, so I claimed him as my favorite character from the get-go.

Next to Oliver, I also loved Briar. The action starts off right away, along with Briar’s transformation which means we only really see the story unfold in her eyes during her vampiric period. We learn however, that she is very strong-willed and empathetic young woman who’s fiercely protective of her friends and family. Oh! and I can’t forget to mention Daniel. He’s mysterious, protective, French, and completely lovable! I’m really hoping that we learn more about him in the next book, because there was simply not enough of him in Hallowed.

This book is a must-read for fans of YA paranormal reads with mystery, action, and of course, romance. Once you start Hallowed you wont want to stop.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollowed.

08/22/2012 page 71 "haha! I love the "duck-kitten""
08/23/2012 page 165 "soo into this book!"

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Fournier Ohh! Daniel!! I loved this book. Hope you do too. :)

Lauren Amy wrote: "Ohh! Daniel!! I loved this book. Hope you do too. :)"

I'm definitely LOVING it thus far!! :) <3 Oliver

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Fournier Took me a bit to warm up to Oliver, but I really liked him too.