Susie Carson's Reviews > A Kiss of Shadows

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton

I checked this book out from the online collection at my library because it sounded like an interesting fantasy romance, not being at all familiar with the author. It started out somewhat promising, albeit slow. Author tends to be overly descriptive, especially when it comes to appearances. The mystery plot was pretty good, but then Merry was discovered to be a princess and all of that was forgotten. The one part of the story I liked, and it disappeared. So then she starts on her plan to get out of town...enter: excuses for Merry to get into as many sexually compromising situations with as many males as possible. Never mind that the fey have a more "enlightened" attitude about casual sex (read: I TOTALLY disagree), I think Merry is either a slut or has absolutely no self esteem. Halfway through the book, and I am bored out of my mind, wishing there was more than sex to connect pieces of the plot together. Honestly, if I had known this was erotica, I wouldn't have picked it up. I don't mind a few steamy scenes, but not if that's all there is. I feel no connection to any of the male characters ( mostly because they only appear briefly to have sex or near sex with Merry). Merry herself, meh. I won't read any more of her stuff, and I won't finish this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss of Shadows.