Sonia's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Jul 19, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-own, bookurious-blog-it-forward, favourites, made-me-cry, girl-friendships
Read in July, 2012

*releases breath*

Wow. Wowowowowowwwwww. I literally feel emotionally drained right now. I think I need to sleep for a week. It was brutal and beautiful and a million other words and I don't think I'll be able to stop thinking about it for a while.

***

Code Name Verity is a beautiful, beautiful story.

Captured by the Gestapo and held for information, "Verity" begins the long task of writing out the story of Maddie, a female pilot in the war, in exchange for a bit of extra time before her inevitable death. It sounds morbid. It is.

But also in this novel is friendship and bravery, loyalty and strength. It's the historic tale (although "Verity's" story is fictional) of what people are forced to do in times of war and of how far people will go for what they believe in. Reading this novel was like being pulled through a blender in the best possible way. My emotions were are in tatters and I felt so connected to everything that was happening. For the few days that it took me to read this book, I was there in WWII. I felt so utterly immersed in the Nazi prison and all of the other locations constantly shadowed by the war. This book will transport you to times past -- with emotions and feelings and history -- and it is an amazing thing.

I will say though that this novel was not an easy one for me to get into. I really struggled at the beginning (before getting completely hooked!) with all of the nitty gritty, technical details of aircrafts and flight manoeuvres and war operations. If you find yourself feeling it too, I really hope that you'll power through! The book picked up insanely for me as I got further into it.

"Verity" is such a complex narrator. She is not entirely reliable which adds a nice bit of suspense (ha, as if there wasn't enough) to the book and even as she is confessing everything she knows and therefore betraying her country, she still has these small moments of rebellion and humour and just life.

I did not see the twists in this novel coming at all and each one was equivalent to a train knocking me flat. I so cried while reading Code Name Verity and I felt emotionally drained at the end of it but I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Cover Comments: Simple and striking with actual significance to the story -- more so, in my opinion, for the feel of it than the actual event.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

Quotes Sonia Liked

Elizabeth Wein
“KISS ME, HARDY! Kiss me, QUICK!”

Elizabeth Wein
“It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.”

Elizabeth Wein
“But I have told the truth. Isn't that ironic? They sent me because I am so good at telling lies. But I have told the truth.”

Elizabeth Wein
“I am no longer afraid of getting old. Indeed I can't believe I ever said anything so stupid. So childish. So offensive and arrogant.
But mainly, so very, very stupid. I desperately want to grow old.”

Elizabeth Wein
“But a part of me lies buried in lace and roses on a riverbank in France-a part of me is broken off forever. A part of me will be unflyable, stuck in the climb.”