Jill's Reviews > Sultry with a Twist

Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, 2012-debuts
Read in September, 2012

Debut

For June Augustine opening her own martini bar in Austin is a dream come true. But when she's served a warrant from an incident nine years ago all her plans are put on hold. Returning to her hometown of Sultry Springs for the first time in nine years, June is ordered by the judge to complete one month's community service with a local church or Helping Hands.

Luke Gallagher was June's best friend when growing up. They both lived with her grandmother after June was orphaned at seven and Luke was abandoned by his mother. Their friendship turned to teenage love. Now after serving in the military, Luke is back in Sultry Springs with his best friend, Trey. Starting up Helping Hands is Luke's way of giving back to the community that helped him.

This is the debut for author Macy Beckett. Sultry with a Twist is a well-written contemporary with two very likable leads (especially Luke) and a lovely romance. Although this is a typical romance in many ways, it does have some very cute lines. The relationship between the two guys, Luke and Trey, is especially good and provides some of the best dialogue in the story. This from when Trey is in hospital -

"But at least you're getting sponge baths, right? Bet your nurse loves to get you reeeal clean." [...]

"Yeah," Trey mumbled, glancing away. "He's very thorough."

"He?"

"You heard me."

There is a bit of conflict between June and her religious grandma, especially since June is a bartender and Sultry Springs is a Bible town and alcohol-free.

This is a lovely if standard contemporary romance, though with some great lines and dialogue. The letter that Luke wrote at the end was incredibly sweet and a highlight. Sultry with a Twist is for those who love smalltown romances, friends to lovers and reunited lovers.

Steam: 3

ARC courtesy of Sourcebooks (Casablanca) via NetGalley

23 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sultry with a Twist.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Nice review, Jill!

Jill @ Baba & Jessica
Thankyou!

message 4: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Sep 06, 2012 05:08PM) (new) - added it

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Great review, Jill. This one looks good and I love small town romances. Is this book a clean romance?

Quynh Great review Jill!! I've had this on the TBR mountain so looking forward to reading it more now. I love small town romances.

Jill Kristen wrote: "Great review, Jill. This one looks good and I love small town romances. Is this book a clean romance?"

Thanks Kristen! And no, it's not a 'clean' romance. The heat level is about 3 out of 5. I guess average for the romance genre. I really should put the steam levels on my reviews.

Jill Quynh wrote: "Great review Jill!! I've had this on the TBR mountain so looking forward to reading it more now. I love small town romances."

H1 Quynh and thankyou! How was your holiday? I haven't been at GR much and didn't realise you were back.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jill wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Great review, Jill. This one looks good and I love small town romances. Is this book a clean romance?"

Thanks Jill. I'm adding this one.

message 9: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Great review Jilly! I'll be adding this one. I really enjoy small town romances.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Great review Jilly! I'll be adding this one. I really enjoy small town romances."

Thanks KatLynne! You can ask for this one at NetGalley.

Quynh Jill wrote: "Quynh wrote: "Great review Jill!! I've had this on the TBR mountain so looking forward to reading it more now. I love small town romances."

H1 Quynh and thankyou! How was your holiday? I haven't ..."

My holidays was pretty good, until I got back home and broke my leg. :( Been trying to take it easy, and dealing with the pain that goes with it, so one day at a time. Getting back to school as well so trying to fit in as much reading as I could get before it gets busy again.

message 12: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Nice one Jilly! I like the sounds of this one too. :)

message 13: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Wendy wrote: "Nice one Jilly! I like the sounds of this one too. :)"

Thank you, Wen! And look out for the avalanche.....!!

♥~♥Geri ~ the Racy Lit Reader ♥~♥ Lovely review, Jill.

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Geri's ~ EverAfterRomance ~ wrote: "Lovely review, Jill."

Thanks Geri! :)