Kari Anderson's Reviews > Big Sky Mountain

Big Sky Mountain by Linda Lael Miller

Aug 20, 12

Read from July 19 to 28, 2012

From Goodreads.com:

With his rugged good looks, vast wealth and family name, hell-raiser Hutch Carmody is still the golden boy of Parable, Montana. But he’s done some growing up—making peace with his illegitimate half brother and inheriting half of Whisper Creek Ranch, which should have been all his. These days, Hutch knows there are some things money can’t buy: like the heart of loving, ladylike divorcée Kendra Shepherd.Kendra’s quiet mansion reminds her of what she wants most—a devoted husband and the pitter-patter of little feet. She can’t get Hutch Carmody out of her mind. But a rough-and-tumble cowboy like Hutch, coming home for family dinner? Seems crazy! Then again, crazier dreams have become reality under the vast Montana sky.

Man every time I read a Linda Lael Miller book, I want to do two things: pull on my cowboy boots and move to a farm. She does such an amazing job at making country life sound so appealing. Granted, I do live in West Virginia and although I am a city girl, still have done the country things, like spent time on family and friend’s farms, four wheeler riding, fishing, hunting, camping…. The older I get, the more I think I could be suited for a farm life. I love wearing my high heels, but would possibly (possibly) trade in a pair of heels for a new pair of boots, just waiting to be worn in.

But other than the country and spending time out west, she does an even better job with her characters. In Big Sky Country, she introduced us to three sets of characters. You didn’t know it at the time, but they would all play a great role in this series. The men are absolutely to die for, in their button up shirts, riding horses and driving big trucks and the women are likeable. But I think I am just too easy when it comes to falling for male characters. They get me at “Hello Darlin”, while the women in this series need a little more cattle prodding to fall for their men. I mean how many books begin with a guy leaving his wife-to-be at the altar and by the end of the book, you are still thinking he may be your favorite cowboy of all time?

We still have one more book yet, so I can’t quite make my decision, but you better believe at the end of this series, I will have to choose which one of these Big Sky fellas was my favorite. If you have read this series, make sure you stay tuned because I want to hear from you too. Do you already have a favorite and know that no matter what happens in the third book no one can beat your man???

And finally let’s not forget Madison. There have been a few books recently where child characters play a big role and they absolutely steal the show in my book. I can never get over how well authors portray children and I can hear them saying their lines in my head. I love it and Linda Lael Miller did a great job with this little spitfire.

Now I’ve read a lot of reviews on this book from other readers and I am not sure what they read and what I read. I know that everyone interprets things differently, but it’s hard for me to believe how much I loved this book compared to others’ thoughts. A lot of the reviewers said this wasn’t her best work. If they thought that was the case, I can’t wait to read more of her work and get my boots blown off.

I give Big Sky Mountain 5 out of 5 bookmarks and am have a bittersweet feeling about the third book in the series. I have fallen so in love with these characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Sky Mountain.

07/22/2012 page 107
07/24/2012 page 174
45.0% "I love the characters in this series and the Out West setting."