Lisa's Reviews > Lover Revealed

Lover Revealed by J.R. Ward

Jul 19, 2012

Read from July 19 to 20, 2012

So, yes, this was another great read by J. R. Ward. No doubt.

Butch has intrigued me since the first book in the series. Unfortunately, I found it a bit difficult to become emotionally invested in the ups and downs of his relationship with Marissa as written in Lover Revealed. Perhaps it is because this book follows Z’s story and, really, what story would not fall short following the intensity of Lover Awakened?

I’ve liked Butch and Marissa from their first appearance in this series and that did not change with reading Lover Revealed. I did have a hard time fully relating to them. Butch, like his vampire brethren, was a tortured hero, and never really felt the love of a family unit until the Brotherhood took him into their ranks. With the Brothers, he finally felt that sense of belonging that was missing in his life and essentially found the missing pieces to his life. Marissa took a little while to win me over as I found her to be a tad selfish at times in her desperate worry for Butch’s safety. At the heart of Marissa’s character is a very gentle soul which was evidenced in her work at the hospital early on. I found myself wishing that this part of her had been explored more fully. Perhaps if it was, I would have connected a little more deeply with her. Alas, our couple does have their love story and they work it out and get their HEA.

What I loved about this book is the bond that we get to see between Vishous and Butch. Their friendship has been a long established one from book 1; however, we now get to see how deep their bond truly goes. There was a lot of complexity surrounding their relationship, which I believe could be interpreted as symbolic of this greater connection. Is it wrong that I found myself hoping that Butch would hook up with Z?????? Ok, kidding....maybe......yes, ok....kidding!

One of the strengths of Lover Revealed is in its secondary characters. I loved seeing more of Beth and Wrath and Z and Bella. To me, the strongest of the secondary characters was Vishous. In previous books, he has been pretty much an enigma. His gifts as well as glimpses of his back story and personality are finally explored in this book. It makes me want to jump right into his book (the next one in the series), which I will be doing.

Although I found that Lover Revealed could have been a little better, especially romantically, I still thoroughly enjoyed the book. J.R. Ward is a master at engaging both my emotions and my intellect and for that reason she has become one of my favorite authors. I will be looking forward to continuing with the series to see where her fertile imagination leads these amazing and wonderful characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Revealed.

07/20/2012 page 90
19.0% "Is it wrong that I think there is more of a romance going on between Butch and V then there is Butch and Marissa at this point??????" 5 comments
02/19/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Mmmmmmmmmmm, Butch!

Lisa AJ wrote: "Mmmmmmmmmmm, Butch!"

Just a few chapters in. I am so clueless as to where she is going to take this story. So good so far though.

message 3: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn LOVE the BDB

Lisa Nyrae wrote: "LOVE the BDB"

ME TOO! I'm loving this series. Z's story was epic (as your Bastian would say!). LOL!

message 5: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Great review Lisa. Hope you love the next book - V is my fave!

Lisa AJ wrote: "Great review Lisa. Hope you love the next book - V is my fave!"

Thanks AJ. I'm looking forward to it. Likely will start it tomorrow. Not sure if V can surpass Z for me, but we shall see. :0)

message 7: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ LOL. Everyone has their favourites so it's all good!

V and Rhage are my faves of the original brotherhood, but I really like the guys in the later books as well, they're all SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!

message 8: by Nyrae (new)

Nyrae Dawn LOL. That sounds like Bastian ;) Z is my favorite. Z, V and Qhuinn are my boys. lol

Blacky *Romance Addict* I feel the same way like you do, this was good, but it could have been better, the Marissa/Butch could use some more page space and romance. V and Butch's relationship was it for me in this one, even in the further novels, what they have is beautiful :)

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Awesome. I'm loving the connection between V and Butch.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Yeah, it's gonna be good later between them,, but in #9 they'll have a big part in the novel, LOVED that <3

Barbara Ann Lisa, I agree with your comments about Butch and especially Marissa. I wasn't all that excited about this love story but it was much better than I expected.

I really appreciated the honest look at the depth of Butch's and V's friendship- at times it was more interesting to me than his interactions with Marissa. I can completely understand your reaction to Butch and V - heck, I was expecting something along these lines to occur. Butch's bond with V is just as intimate as with Marissa, just in a much different way.

Great review!

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Agreed Barbara. I wanted so much more of Butch and Marissa. Not my fave book in the series but still a good read.

Sarah I just finished this book and I was really intrigued by butch and v's connection. Esp on v's half, there is some complex feelings going on there. I actually was more interested with the two of them than Marissa though I really like her a lot. It's not to see her coming out of her shell and becoming her own woman. Anyway, great review!

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Sarah wrote: "I just finished this book and I was really intrigued by butch and v's connection. Esp on v's half, there is some complex feelings going on there. I actually was more interested with the two of them..."

Butch and V definitely have an intriguing connection. :)