The Joy of Booking's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jul 19, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars was a one-sit read for me – I simply could not put it down. I ached to find out how Hazel and Gus’s story played out, even as I dreaded learning. I won’t lie – there were big crocodile tears shed.

But what a beautiful story. What an amazing message for people in any kind of relationship – after all, each day, each of us is closer to death than the last. It feels more intangible for most of us than it does for teens with cancer, but it’s undeniable. Hazel holds everyone at arm’s length in order to prevent being a “bomb” – a force that sends shrapnel into anyone who loves her when they lose her. As she comes to understand that love requires taking the risk that you will be hurt – and sometimes, even harder, the risk that you will hurt someone else – she also comes to understand the value of that trade-off, and by extension, the reader comes to or deepens their own understanding as well.

This was my first exposure to John Green, who, in addition to being an amazing writer, is also an amazing example of the self-promotional author. Check out his video blogs and his Tumblr, and ONLY IF YOU HAVE READ The Fault in Our Stars (SPOILERS! SPOILERS!), the Tumblr for the book (which is called ONLY IF YOU FINISHED THE FAULT IN OUR STARS) where he answers some questions from fans about the characters and ending of the book. (Note: that Tumblr will ruin the ending, and thus the entire reading experience. Seriously, don’t google it unless you’ve read it.)