Olivia's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Dec 13, 10

bookshelves: horror, fiction-general, 1001-books-before-you-die
Read in December, 2010

Considering it was written HOW long ago?? Late 1800s, this was AWESOME. I really loved how it was written in such various forms (diary entries, newspaper clippings, etc) it gave a more realistic situation.
So many elements that were great here, first, Dracula. I have seen the movie, but reading it is different. Seeing just how interesting of a character he is, from being aristocratic and proper to being animalistic and primitive. It's also interesting how his character plays on the time's fear of invasion of an unknown force or people to Britain - Dracula representing the forgein invader that could take their property and destroy their grip on power (aside: take into consideration all of the links between him and money. For heaven sakes, at the ending, when attacked, he BLEEDS money: they hear a little 'tink' sound and it's coins falling).
Further, Mina: an interesting representation of the New Woman character. She is progressive, is described as having a 'man brain' by Van Helsing, and takes part in what would be seen as male activities (typwriting, going around with the men hunting for Dracula).
Harker was a bit tedious but I did enjoy his one on one time with Dracula.
Renfield was also fascinating - who knew reading about someone eating flies and bugs would be that entertaining?
Overall, interesting read and wonderful to see how the development of Vampire novels started.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

Quotes Olivia Liked

Bram Stoker
“We learn from failure, not from success!”
Bram Stoker, Dracula