Nikki Bernard's Reviews > Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu Arakawa

Jul 19, 12

Read on July 19, 2012

This was my first manga book. The format was difficult for me to grasp. It actually took me a couple of mintues to figure out how I was supposed to read the book and what direction to read the print in. That being said I can see how it would appeal to struggling readers (in particular boys).In fact this book is a YALSA Quick Pick winner. There isn't a ton of text and you can use the picture clues to figure out the story line. I was a little confused about why this book had a sun god, the deadly sin incarnate, and the philosopher's stone all wrapped into one book. There was a lot going on! The story follows Edward and Alphonse Elric, alchemists who are traveling in an attempt to find a way to return their bodies to their normal state. Both brothers were badly injured in an attempt to bring their mother back from the dead. I am not sure I will read anymore manga novels. If I do I think I will try a different sereis. However, I am happy that so many young people do read and enjoy them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marylou (new)

Marylou Ha, ha glad I wasn't the only one that happened to :)

Nikki Bernard I felt very silly...it would make a good seminar for teachers: How to Actually Read a Manga/Graphic Novel. haha!

message 3: by Marylou (new)

Marylou That is actually a very good idea Nikki!

Randi You realize that the format of the novel shouldn't have an affect on the story itself. Making reviews about an amazing story like 'Fullmetal Alchemist' and giving it one out of five stars is pretty disingenuous, especially considering that your first issue with it, had nothing to do with the plot. If you didn't understand how to read it properly, that was your own failing, not the story.

message 5: by Marylou (new)

Marylou Randi everyone has different opinions and they need to be respected. Some of my favorite books have been bashed by many who read them. It all boils down to people have different likes and dislikes. What you find amazing, others might find just so-so, or even downright dislike. Anyway, "to each their own" is how I've discovered life should be. Not everyone does, nor should, agree on everything.