new_user's Reviews > Tempting the Bride

Tempting the Bride by Sherry Thomas

Oct 18, 12

bookshelves: historical
Read from October 16 to 18, 2012

I feel like Ms. Thomas got too much whining from readers about too much angst in her books, and this Fitzhugh series is the result. They're light on everything... Short. I would have liked some more good times between Hastings and Helena, maybe learn more about them, get more profound moments. As it is, he was really sweet, especially with daughter Bea, although it is either pompous or cowardly to confess one's love via manuscript.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempting the Bride.

10/16/2012 "Go Hastings! You tell her! She ain't meeting your daughter!" 4 comments
10/16/2012 ""Yes. Yes,” she said. “Nothing pleases and soothes a delicate, expectant mother like crates upon crates of enormous dinosaur remains.”"
10/16/2012 "She didn’t know why she found his uncertainty so attractive. She supposed she must like a man who was both humble enough to question his decisions and brave enough to admit it."
10/17/2012 "Would you like to see the books you’ve published?” asked Hastings. “You have them here?” “Of course.” So many of her questions were answered with “of course,” as if the alternative were unthinkable. As if this were the only possible path for him to have taken in life. As if she were his only possible path."
10/17/2012 "At first he was like, "A Whole New World," and now he's like, "Make it Rain." LOL."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wicked Incognito Now Yeah, so disappointing. I love a "love me long time" book, and this one just didn't live up to the potential.

new_user Yeah, it did have a lot of potential to be deeper.

message 3: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani Oh new_user, this series seems not to be up to her usual standards:( I hate the fact that most HR writers seem to be following the same formulas in writing lately, and now Thomas is doing it too?

Wicked Incognito Now Beguiling the Beast is definitely up to her usual standards. The other two, not so much.

new_user Yeah, Fani, I don't know. Thomas' HRs are more bearable to me than others because they're much better written and concise. But I don't see the same depth that I saw in NQaH or even Delicious.

message 6: by Fani (last edited Oct 23, 2012 01:58AM) (new) - added it

Fani That doesn't sound good to me. Someone here wrote that it seems like all HRs lately are becoming "avonized" and I think she's very right. There seems to be the same amount of angst, passion, humor or lack thereof, in all latest romances, so that none is too dark or too light, but they all have passion galore:(

new_user It could be, Fani. There have been a lot of formulaic releases for a while now, but it's a little suspect when even big names like ST are doing it. Maybe I'm too harsh though. The first book was good. Maybe it's a rushed schedule. There are a few gems coming out. I liked A Lady Awakened (though I have to warn you it doesn't have much angst).

message 8: by Fani (new) - added it

Fani I'm definitely going to read it soon new user. I'm not in a mood for very angsty right now, so that sounds just the thing:)

new_user LOL, cool, hope you enjoy!

message 10: by Amar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amar Completely agree with your review, NU, but for me, a bleh ST boom is better than what passes for 'great' historicals these days!

By the way, have you read Joanna Bourne? She's a great writer!!

message 11: by new_user (last edited Dec 03, 2012 11:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

new_user I agree, bad ST is still pretty good. Funny you ask, she's another of my favorites! I love the grittiness and genuine spy element to her books, the research, characters, prose, emotion- it's all good!