Julie's Reviews > I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America after Twenty Years Away

I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson

Jul 19, 12

I like Bill Bryson because he is such a keen observer and snotty commentator about all the absurd stuff we have evolved into as a culture. In this case it is a study of two cultures because in the late 1990's he returned to America after a couple decades of living in jolly old England. His British wife and their kids are smitten with America and all of the excesses we take for granted. Bill is wistful about the America he left that had drive in movies and main streets with small mom and pop businesses. No more. What was especially poignant is that he wrote this before 9/11 and the huge sweeping changes that have been made with how we operate globally and before the huge onslaught of personal technology use. He was still basking in the warm glow of the Clinton era. Snooping around online, it looks to me like he bagged his United States experiment and went back to England. I am interested to hear what he has to say about the new US. Where are you Bryson?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm a Stranger Here Myself.